SUMMER MARKETS ON PRESTON STREET
((Link to apply is at the bottom of the page))
Weekly markets were one of the core elements of Preston st, the main street in one of the most prominent neighbourhoods in Ottawa- Little Italy. No where else in the city do you have a fusion of rich history and decades old businesses mixed with yound, modern takes on food and commerce.
The markets are a joint partnership between Freewheeling Craft and the Preston BIA.
WHEN: The markets will runs through to the end of October. The market runs every second Sunday in July-August and every Sunday in September-October. Market runs 11am - 4pm
WHERE: The markets will be hosted in the parking lot at the market building (@ 333 Preston street)- this is behind Pure Kitchen and Heart & Crown). This is central to all of the businesses on the street. Onsite underground parking is available (paid). Market is FREE to attend for shoppers.
Night markets launching in June-July.
PROCESS TO PARTICIPATE
- Applications will be on a rolling basis. Once a date is full, we will remove it from the application.
- As always, we are looking to offer curation and balance in the vendor offering. We will be accepting vendors on this basis (no one wins when the categories are not balanced).
- Vendors will be responsible for their own tent, chair, table setup). Tents must be safe, sturdy and weighted down.
- There are 6-8 vendor spots under a covered area (that will have an 8x6 footprint). Good for new vendors who are still growing their business supplies.
- Fees: Vendor fees will be as follows:
- Farmers and food product vendors: $50 + HST per week ($8.33/hour).
- Craft product vendors: $57 + HST ($9.60/hour)
- Food vendors (to eat on site): $65 + HST ($10.85/hour)
- Vendor fees are due upon acceptance to secure your spot as a vendor.
- Vendor fees are non-refundable due to inclement weather or other situations. Vendor fees may be able to be put towards a future market date for reasons out of your control.
- Should our space on Beech street be open, we will be able to use the indoor space as alternate rain space (fits 12-15 vendors inside).
- Vendors will not need to show a proof of vaccination (due to being an outdoor event) and masks do not need to be worn (although may be highly encouraged due to the changing nature of the covid19 situation in our community). We respect a balance of personal choice with doing whats right with the community at large as an events organizer. This can however change should public health measures change.
- We highly, highly encourage vendors to have their own insurance. Freewheeling Craft, the Preston BIA, the property owners or any of their officers will not be liable for any damage/loss to property or persons. It is your responsibility to insure your businesses and persons.
- Brand operators must make and design their goods- no wholesale produc will be allowed to be sold.
- Art and craft vendors are encouraged to use regional materials wherever possible (printers, suppliers, services).
- Reproductions of the visual arts commissioned by the art and craft vendor are allowed provided the art and craft vendor has sourced their reproductions from within Canada.
- The goods being sold must be a proper representation of the application, otherwise the vendor may be asked to not set-up and not attend any future market dates that have been secured by them.
FARMERS + FOOD PRODUCERS
- Farmers selling at out weekly markets must be LOCAL (within 150KM from the market).
- Farmers grow what they sell. Products may not be purchased from other food producers and sold by you.
- Farmers have ownership or leasehold rights to the land being farmed during the growing season.
- Microprocessors are actively and directly engaged in the production of 100% of all microprocessed products from scratch.
- Microprocessed products that contain eggs, fluid dairy, meat, honey or maple syrup shall have these ingredients sourced locally or from the provinces of Ontario or Quebec.
- Products shall be labelled accurately and by law according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency requirements.
MARKET MANAGER: We will be opening up the position of market manager for the summer season. Applications for this exciting summer position with us will be opening up on Monday, April 18th. Applicants must be able to work summer weekends. More details coming soon!
MARKETING + WRITER: We are looking for a talented person who wants to help us tell the brand stories of our vendors, and to help us elevate the #shoplocal culture in Ottawa. Applications to join our team start on Monday, April 18th.